Monday, August 1, 2011

Welcome to the Madhouse

“I must be crazy to be in a loony bin like this.” -R.P. McMurphy, “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’
Hey there.  I’m glad your capricious online wanderings have brought you to my blog.  Now that you’re here, hopefully I can provide you with something you’ll find useful.  And maybe a little bit fun, too.
I’ll get straight to it.
I decided to start this blog because I’m tired.  Tired of the twelve or sixteen or twenty-year ride on the assembly line educational system.  Tired of specialized wage slaves putting in sixty-hour weeks, only to return home from their commutes to pray they’re able to make the payment on their zero money down, adjustable rate mortgages.  Tired of the theatrics of the media and cable news pundits promoting a culture of irrational discourse and fear.  Tired of fast food, drive through service and banal personal interactions, of reality television and electronic drum loops posing as culture.  More than anything else, I’m tired of the rampant entitlement mentality, the lack of ambition, the complacency and the intellectual decline.
I hope you’re getting a little angry reading this.  That’s good.  That means you aren’t satisfied with the way things are going, either.  But it also means you still have that fire in your belly, that elemental power of the human spirit that is all too easy to lose in a world gone mad.  If you don’t feel like you quite fit the mold into which society attempts mold you, this is the blog for you.
This is a place for dreamers, deep thinkers, and idealists.  But it’s also a place to explore practical solutions.  I don’t pretend to have all (or even most of) the answers to society’s great problems, but I’m going to do everything in my power to seek something that most people have forgotten: quality.
That’s right.  In a world that demands more more more, I’m trying to strip down.  To simplify.  Why not demand better instead?  Better health, happiness and fulfillment, success and inner peace.  I’m a fervent believer that we should be responsible for setting our own goals, instead of blindly accepting the ones society lays out before us.  That’s my sole aim in this blog.  Topics will be broad, as the things we need to (un)learn to improve the quality of our lives touch all of its aspects.
Let’s not just think outside the box.  Let’s throw it away completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment