Monday, August 1, 2011

Get Crazy Strong: Mix Up Your Rep Ranges

As a voracious reader (formerly) and a bitter skeptic (currently) of fitness magazines, I haven’t helped but notice how many of the sample programs recommend workout regimes with a constant number of repetitions for each set.  Years of relatively gardual improvement, followed by a recent spike in gains over the past three months had led me to believe maybe all those “supplements” have disrupted fitness writers’ brain functioning.  My previous philosophy was the same one as many other people I see in the gym: work somewhere between 8 and 10 reps a set, and do the same workout as frequently as possible without burning out.
I’ve enjoyed a substantial increase in size and strength in just 12 weeks.  And all it took (other than consistently busting butt and showing up) was to change the rep range in my workouts.  My schedule went like this:
  • Weeks 1-4: 5 reps a set, about 15 sets total for a workout
  • Weeks 5-8: 8 reps a set, 13-14 sets total for a workout
  • Weeks 9-12: 12 reps a set, about 12 sets for a workout
Note: you don’t even have to divide it up like this.  You could use one week cycles, or even integrate different rep ranges within the same workouts.  As long as you’re hitting the different rep ranges pretty evenly, the possibilities for customization are endless.
I just switched back over to 5 reps a set again (beginning a second 12-week cycle), and honestly I feel great.  My muscles are energized even after an intense three months.  And I’ve never felt stronger; I actually look forward to the gym instead of dreading it like the day rent’s due.  Why am I happy with the change, and why should you consider it, too?
  1. Variety is the spice of life.  It’s difficult enough getting to the gym in the first place, and damn near impossible if you have a boring routine ahead of you.  When I get bored I come up with reasons not to go, and when I don’t go, I get out of shape.  Periodically changing up the repetition range offers a different sensation… you’ll want to get to the gym after the month in the 13-rep range just to see how much stronger you’ve become.
  2. Different rep ranges work on different aspects of fitness.  Lower rep ranges engage sheer strength, mid ranges provide the most hypertrophy (size), and high rep ranges work on muscular endurance.
  3. You can use the system to target specific performance goals.  If you play football and just want power, stick to low reps.  Looking for endurance for that next adventure race you have planned?  Do sets of 12 or more and really feel the burn. And almost any athlete can benefit from mid-rep training, as it offers a mix of strength and endurance improvements
  4. A twelve-week cycle is an ideal time period for change.  From New Years to Spring Break, trying to get ripped for beach season, or prepping for a vacation, different periods of the year really put the screws on you to look your best.  Following one 12-week cycle of altering rep ranges allows you to make great improvements, increase athleticism, and keep you interested all the while.  Combine the program with a healthy diet and the possibilities are endless!
I recommend giving this minor change a shot.  You’ve got nothing to lose, and if you don’t like it you can always go back to your old program!  Let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment